Tuesday 18 August 2015

Millionaire's Shortbread Recipe

It's now the Great British Bake Off season and it makes me want to bake even more than I usually do. With last week them focusing on biscuits I decided to bake Millionaire's Shortbread. I've never made this before and I was surprised it went so well, I'll definitely be trying other shortbread recipes now. I used this recipe here from BBC Good Food but just tried something a little different for the chocolate on top to make it look (and taste) even better.



Ingredients
For the shortbread:
  • 225g/8oz plain flour
  • 175g/6oz cold unsalted butter
  • 75g/2¾oz caster sugar
For the topping:
  • 150g/5oz butter
  • 1 x 379g can condensed milk
  • 100g/3½oz golden syrup
  • 350g/12oz chocolate (I used 300g milk chocolate and 50g white chocolate)




Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2. Line a square cake tin with baking paper.


2. Combine the flour and butter cubes and mix until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. (Alternatively, you can rub the butter in by hand.) 

3. Add in the caster sugar and mix again until combined.

4. Tip the mixture into the lined cake tin and spread it out evenly with the back of a spoon. Then press the shortbread down firmly with your knuckles so that it is tightly packed in the tin.

5. Bake the shortbread for 30 minutes or until very light golden brown. Set aside to cool.

6. Meanwhile, for the topping, heat the butter, condensed milk and golden syrup in a saucepan, stirring occasionally until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth.

7. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring frequently. The caramel will thicken and turn golden-brown. Set aside to cool slightly, then pour over the cooled shortbread. Allow to cool completely.

8. Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water or in the microwave.

9. Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel and set aside until the chocolate has cooled completely.

10. Cut into squares and serve. (Or broken pieces like mine)




I'm looking forward to tomorrows episode for more ideas on what to bake next.





Watch technique
0:46 min
Follow

8 comments:

  1. this look bloody yummy, and looks pretty easy! Love the new header too :) Tania xx taniamichele.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania :) I was quite surprised at how well it turned out! xx

      Delete
  2. I am suchhh a sucker for shortbread! Looks amazing.
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shortbread was my favourite part, and thanks xx

      Delete
  3. That looks delicious! I always make my millionaires shortbread, will have to give this recipe a go xx

    Lucy Cole | A UK Fashion, Lifestyle and Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was :) Let me know how it goes if you decide to give it a go xx

      Delete
  4. This looks absolutely amazing! I love millionaires shortbread, I'm actually really tempted to give this a go!

    www.hielizzy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! Let me know if you do, it'd be great to see how it turns out :)

      Delete

I appreciate every one of your lovely comments, thank you.